Considered as one of the healthiest vegetables in the market today, pepper is characterized by the variety in colors and shapes that may present.
Surely you’re used to seeing red and green peppers but, what would you think if we told you that there are yellow and orange peppers and even black? It’s surprising, right? If the variety of colors makes it a very versatile vegetable, the variety in the sizes is crucial. rom the typical elongated peppers, to those that have a more squared size, not to mention the cherry peppers. The pepper term includes a large number of sizes and shapes and, at Consorfrut, we have them available under our different brands.
Another of the strengths of this superfood is the way it can be consumed. Whether fresh, roasted, stewed or cooked, the pepper has an excellent flavor regardless of its cooking, so its intake is increasingly booming, so much so that its demand in European markets has been growing in the last years. Moreover, such is the demand for this product that pepper is one of the greenhouse crops with the largest areas across the country.
This increase in demand has led to an increase in greenhouses to develop the cultivation of peppers along the entire Spanish coast. It is important that in these greenhouses temperature can be controlled, because it is a very demanding plant in this subject and can not be grown when the temperatures are very low. Hence, the need to grow in greenhouses to enjoy it throughout the year. However, it does tolerate high temperatures well, so its original growing season is from summer to autumn exporting from October to July.
Tips to keep in mind to buy peppers
When it comes to buying pepper it is necessary to take into account certain characteristics that help you to choice a good one. From Consorfrut we advise you that, at the time of buying, you opt for the most meaty, bright, firm and hard peppers. Look at those who have smooth skin, who do not have blows and who have a good weight in relation to their size.
We recommend fleeing those who have spots or wrinkles, as they are indicators that the pepper has been stored for a long time, something that can cause a loss of taste and nutrients. Those who have thin skin or cuts are those who are in poor condition and, of course, you should not take them either.
If you buy it, but you are not going to consume it with immediacy, take note of the trick that we give you to extend your life to the maximum without losing its flavor and nutrients: keep them in the refrigerator inside a perforated bag, this will make them able to stand in good condition until 15 days.
The organoleptic properties of peppers
Do you know what organoleptic properties the peppers have? Take note of them to learn more about this vegetable by means of this table showing the composition by 100 grams of edible portion:
- Energy: 19,3 Kcal
- Water: 92 ml
- Proteins: 0,9g
- Carbohydrates: 3,7g
- Fibre: 1,4g
- Potassium: 210mg
- Phosphorus: 25mg
- Magnesium: 13.5mg
- Folates: 25mcg
- Vitamin C: 131mg
- Vitamin A: 67.5mg
- Vitamin E: 0.8 mcg
What are the benefits of pepper?
There are several benefits of consuming pepper in all its variants. We leave you with some to be aware of all that this vegetable can do for you and your health.
One of the strengths of the pepper is its extra contribution of Vitamin C. Only eating 100 grams of this vegetable you get 100% of the minimum recommended daily amount. The red peppers are the ones that more vitamin C present, being well above fruits like orange. But this is not the only thing that the pepper can contribute.
- Low calorie food. Its low energy value, which is 32 kcal, makes it an ideal complement for weight loss diets, so that it can be included in them in any way you can think of cooking it.
- It promotes the elimination of toxins. Its high water content makes it a very diuretic food, ideal to eliminate toxins from our body.
- Prevents degenerative and chronic diseases. This is possible thanks to the high content of beta-carotene and vitamins of the B2 group. In addition, the high beta-carotene content also helps prevent cataract formation and suffer from heart disease or bleeding.
- Anti-cancer properties, thanks to the content of lycopene.
- Quench hunger. Very satiating food thanks to being a food rich in fiber.
- Stimulates gastric secretion, being very beneficial for people with delicate stomach, only sweet peppers, so spicy can cause people to suffer the opposite.
- Analgesic and natural antibiotic effect. This, above all, occurs in hot peppers, which have been uncovered as a good natural analgesic thanks to capsaicin.
- Helps pregnant women because of the high folate content, which also helps prevent deficiencies and spina bifida in the fetus.
These are just some of the benefits of including peppers in your diet. The way to cook it is left to your choice and what your imagination can create. To make it easier, in Consorfrut we put at your disposal our pepper varieties, among which you will find red, orange, yellow and green pepper and even cherry pepper, in the brand Sunflavour; white pepper, green pepper and a tricolor pack in the Privilege brand; and red pepper, orange, yellow, green and pepper Ramiro in our brand Mephistus.
Apart from continuing to develop the BIO production of this product and other more recent varieties such as Sweet Bite.